- To seek to obtain by persuasion, entreaty, or formal application: a candidate who solicited votes among the factory workers.
- To petition persistently; importune: solicited the neighbors for donations.
- To entice or incite to evil or illegal action.
- Not looked for or requested; unsought.
- unsolicited e-mail – also known as spam
- unsolicited advice – the kind of advice you didn’t ask for
I realized how often I’m tempted to give out unsolicited advice. And how I act when I receive unsolicited advice. Simply put, I love telling people what to do and hate when being told what to do myself. I guess this is not unique and we all are somehow similar in that respect. There is no simple solution to this, is it? I guess I will try to work on giving advice only where I can hope it is both helpful and appreciated. Maybe even more important, I will work on being better at receiving advice (which is usually well-meant) and appreciating the thought even where I can’t heed the advice.
More about unsolicited advice in this article.